Friday, April 13, 2012

The Local Church is a Paper Cup


"The Local Church is a Paper Cup"
by Paul Seger

My dad was a pioneer missionary in Nigeria. He pushed into a new region in the north east corner of the country to evangelize and start churches. He was successful. For many years those churches have continued without missionary presence. I just learned that the main church building and what was the mission station buildings were destroyed in religious riots.
I had hoped to go back to Gadaka one day to visit my home and the village where I grew up. I could go, but so much will be missing. Dad is in heaven so I would assume he is not concerned about the destruction. But I am. I feel a sense of loss that I'll never be able to re-visit the place of my youth.
What should I think about this?
Local churches are like paper cups. They are designed by God to contain ministry, but they are disposable. The "universal church" is permanent. Local churches are not. I am totally committed to the centrality of the local church. I've spent my entire ministry focused on establishing local churches. So I am not questioning the importance of churches. But the reality is that local churches are temporary. They may last 6 months or 60 years. But sooner or later they will cease to exist.

Here is the big deal. The local church is not the end goal -- disciples are. Local churches are not eternal -- people are. A church is not an institution; it is a group of Christians. So in that sense, a local church is a paper cup. They are meant to be a temporary container for ministry. God intended the Christian life to take place within the context of local churches. They simply provide the forum for growth and ministry.

If we think of a local church as a porcelain cup, we may tend to be corporate, too institutional. We would try to build an empire instead of building people. The Great Commission is to make disciples. While church planting is a focal point of much missions activity, making disciples is the ultimate goal.

So I guess I shouldn't feel so badly when I learn the buildings have been destroyed.

Written by Paul Seger, General Director, Biblical Ministries Worldwide (BMW)

No comments:

Post a Comment